MEDICAL TAIWAN EXHIBITION 2020
Bigger display booths in MEDICAL TAIWAN Exhibition
From 15th to 17th October 2020, Taiwan External Trade Development Council (TAITRA) organized MEDICAL TAIWAN Exhibition at the Taipei Nangang Exhibition Center, Hall 2. With the COVID-19 impacts, this exhibition went in 2 ways – physical and virtual. For the physical exhibition, “trade show tour” broadcast took the viewers to some of the latest products and technologies, and get to know the international healthcare solutions.
Meanwhile, MEDICAL TAIWAN also featured in “online sourcing meetings” where the local companies can connect with important buyers gathered by the 63 overseas offices from TAITRA.
This exhibition played an important role in Taiwan’s future economic development. It was definitely a chance for visitors to gain new Biotech and medical technology knowledge from MEDICAL TAIWAN which enabled both face-to-face and online communication by leading companies.
Technologies & Products – Booths from MEDICAL TAIWAN Exhibition
Taiwan International Medical and Health Care Exhibition focused on “epidemic prevention industry ecosystem” and “smart medical care” this year. The manufacturers from epidemic prevention industry in Taiwan are very popular due to the impact of COVID-19. Therefore, most of the exhibitors were displaying masks, protective clothing, and epidemic prevention products. Due to Taiwan’s population aging, the smart medical industry is a trending commodity in recent years, they mainly selling assistive devices for the elderly, electric beds, wheelchairs and more. This exhibition also invited a few professors from central hospitals such as Beijing Medical University, Chang Gung University, Mackay and more to display remote medical and integrated smart medical equipment. With the current pandemic situation, the scale of this exhibition and participating manufacturers were much lesser than before. This exhibition played an important role in Taiwan’s future economic development. It was definitely a chance for visitors to gain new Biotech and medical technology knowledge from MEDICAL TAIWAN which enabled both face-to-face and online communication by leading companies. After communicating with several manufacturers and exchanging business cards and information, product information below was obtained:
1. Hong Guang Precision Technology Co., Ltd. (Avision), they exhibited product was CapsoCam Plus and its reader. The product features are equipped with four lenses, which can take 360-degree panoramic photos and obtain images of the digestive tract with zero dead ends easily. CapsoCam Plus is developed by a US medical equipment manufacturer and Avision is the general agent in Taiwan. The capsule reader was developed and designed jointly by Avision and the US team. The product obtained the TFDA license and health insurance approval letter from the Ministry of Health and Welfare this year and can be sold in Taiwan. As for the overseas expansion part, due to the capsule part is the only sole agent in Taiwan and the reader is owned by Avision, so there is no overseas expansion plan at the moment.
2. Yong Jian Biotech Medical Equipment Co., Ltd. (eTouch), their product for this exhibition is non-invasive glucose detection machine (ETM-G01E), the special feature of this product is an acupuncture treatment without blood action. An accurate blood sugar level can be obtained by touching the index finger to the detection point. The benefits are non-invasive, painless, no needling, no consumables, easy to carry, and simple to operate. However, CMG cannot be achieved due to non-intrusive methods. This product is an emerging secondary medical device in Taiwan. Due to the complexity of the application, it is currently being applied for by the US FDA and will be applied for IRB in the US later. After approval by the United States, it will return to Taiwan’s TFDA to apply for relevant medical device certification. After the Taiwan application is completed, there will be overseas expansion plans.
3. Huijia Health Life Technology Co., Ltd. (Huijia), the product they exhibited is a home care system for dementia and disability. This product’s feature is using optical fibre technology to place the sensing pad under the pillow sheet, which can perform physiological monitoring of the elderly, sleep status monitoring, getting out of bed reminder, health management, etc. It can also be used for infant care. However, the entire system is currently only available for monthly rent and not for sale. The wearable sensor is being researched and developed. After the research and development are completed, a medical device application will be submitted to the TFDA.
4. MedicusTek, their exhibited product is the Messi bed-ridden care system. Its products are the sensing pads for wheelchairs and the sensing pads used on beds. With their systems, it can monitor sitting up, getting out of bed, turning over, etc. This is more suitable for elderly care. Also, they are being invited to participate in the Mood Pavilion in Smart Care. After enquiring, it is only for employees and they are not clear about the future development of the company.
5. Apex Co., Ltd. The products they exhibited are Mini Plus Respiratory Therapy Nebulizer and AllNeb, which are easy to carry and to operate. These are more suitable for the needs of users in home breathing care. Lastly, universities and medical institutions displayed remote medical and integrated smart medical equipment. They were invited by the organizer instead of displayed devices developed by the hospital itself.
Introducing and Exchanging information
In summary, the scale of this medical exhibition has shrunk due to the impact of the pandemic, and the participation rate of Taiwan’s local SMEs has decreased too. This exhibition was focused on pandemic prevention, the major exhibitors are mask manufacturers and pandemic prevention supplies manufacturers. After communicating with manufacturers, I think we can stay tuned on the non-invasive blood glucose detector (ETM-G01E) and the home care system for dementia and disability. Although the blood glucose meter cannot be tested continuously but it is convenient to carry and easy to operate. Besides, this is suitable for elderly to use at home or remote areas. Meanwhile, the dementia and disability home care system can improve the efficiency of medical staff through the monitoring system and make up for the shortage of nursing staff in nursing homes or long-term care centres.